Thursday, June 27, 2013

Semester 1 Review

Throughout this first semester (3 weeks) of physics, I have learned a lot. It is amazing how much I know compared to when we first began. I learned about graphing, relationships between time, velocity, distance, and acceleration, and forces. I actually thought it was really interesting how the relationship between the different types of graphs varied, like when each graph was curved, sloped or flat. It introduced me to concepts that really expanded my view on things. I never would have thought some things were possible, but now I understand, like that when something is "decelerating" it is actually accelerating in the other direction. I learned how physics has to do with everything in my everyday life, like how when I punch someone in the face, the person's face is also punching my fist. Force is especially interesting to me. I always kind of look past it. When I push open a door or slide in my socks across the hard wood floor, physics has everything to do with it.

I actually really like physics. I never thought I would and I thought this was going to be a tough summer, but I am pleasantly surprised. it certainly intrigues me, even though I struggle at some points but it is very reassuring when I know that the physics classroom is an understanding environment and I can ask TONS of questions whenever I need help. I like that the fun labs we do, like the slip n slide, the human pendulum, and the rockets. I am a visual learner, so when I see the physics happening right infront of me, it really helps me understand concepts easier.

I had a lot of challenges with unit 6 because there is SO much math. It is still interesting to learn but there is no doubt that I struggle a bit. I think I just need to keep practicing with the word problems, especially the ones where I have to use Fnet = ma and free body diagrams. For some reason, trying to apply that equation is really difficult for me.


2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on the fact that we have learned A LOT! You also reviewed on what seemed to be the most important stuff, which was good. I especially loved the line "when I punch someone in the face, the person's face is also punching my fist". And I also agree with you about Unit 6 being so hard! Uugh, but luckily the test is multiple choice, so hopefully it's a little easier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Joy. You really summed up the first semester's concepts well, and I agree with you as well on unit 6's difficulty. I feel that you worded everything really nicely, as well. That's probably an odd thing to comment on...but your transitions from topic to topic were really clean. :)

    ReplyDelete