Sunday, July 7, 2013

Unit 8: Work and Energy

In this unit we focus a lot on energy and the different types of energy. There is Kinetic energy (KE), Potential energy (PEg) and Potential spring energy (PEs). As Kinetic energy increses, potential energy decreases, and vice versa. This shows that KE and PE are inversely related. We also learned the equations and how to find the different types of energy of an object.

KE = 0.5 x mass x (velocity)^2 = 0.5mv^2

PEg = mass x gravity x change in height = mgh

PEs = 0.5 x spring constant x (distance spring stretched or compressed)^2

The units for energy is newton meter or joules (J). Energy is a scalar quantity, which means it only has magnitude and not direction. Work is the change in energy or Force x Distance. We also learned a very important law, which is the Law of Conservation of Mass: Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it only changes forms.


In the picture above, I have potential energy because I am raised above the ground and the force of gravity is pulling on me.



In this picture, I am jumping off my couch and while I am in the air my kinetic energy is increasing while my potential energy is decreasing.

2 comments:

  1. Hah, maybe I didn't listen closely in class, but I didn't actually make the connection that potential energy and kinetic energy are inversely related, so thank you for that. I also just really love your demonstration of showing when potential energy turns into kinetic energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures were really clever, and way more interesting than the typical photos of just objects. Your explanations are also really nice and organized. Really good. :)

    ReplyDelete